Event Liability (non-UC parties)

Event Liability (non-UC parties)  



  • In-Person Events: Please contact your campus Student Life office for specific guidelines on holding in –person events. Application procedures for event liability insurance remain the same.

  • Virtual Events: Follow the normal application procedures for event liability. The carrier has advised including cautionary wording in your invitation/links/communications stating that you expect participants to follow safety guidelines while participating in the event.

  • Event cancellation: Please email your request to plsdsteam.service@mercer.com. Include the following in the subject line of the email: the event date, the event name and your Campus location. For Example: 3/20/2020 - Educational Lecture - UC Davis - Cancelation Request.




Individuals and outside organizations may hold events at facilities provided they:

  • Obtain written permission from the facility in charge of the space they wish to use
  • Provide the insurance for the event

To get an online premium quote and apply for coverage, simply click the Apply Online button. If you have questions or need more information, contact Mercer at 1-866-838-9536.


Please note, the Certificate of Insurance for which you are applying may be subject to additional approval requirements by the underwriting Insurance Company. Please be sure to submit your application at least 7 to 10 days prior to the event date in order to meet your organization’s event insurance needs. Submission of a completed application and/or premium payment is not a guarantee of coverage. Coverage is not in place for your event until Certificate of Insurance is provided.


During the renewal process and website update, you may not be able to access the online registration. If you need to obtain a Certificate of Insurance during this time, a manual application (pdf) can be emailed to our team at: plsdsteam.service@mercer.com.

Get a Quote Today

To apply for coverage, simply click the Apply Now button below or you can download a form.


Prior to the event you must deliver a Certificate of Insurance to the facility in charge of the space. The Certificate should be accompanied by a note listing the name of the event sponsor, the date of the event, and the location of the event (since some departments control multiple venues).

If you already have insurance coverage, please have your insurance company send the facility in charge of the space a Certificate of Insurance with the following specifications:

  • You or your company must be listed as the Insured.
  • The event sponsor must be listed as an Additional Insured.
  • The Insurer/Producer name and contact information must be on the Certificate.
  • The policy start and end date must encompass the entire length of your event.
  • The policy must include General Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000.
  • If you are bringing a vehicle, the policy must include Automobile Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000.
  • If you are bringing employees, the policy must include evidence of Workers’ Compensation coverage.
  • The Certificate of Insurance must provide 30 days’ advance written notice for any modification, change, or cancellation of any component of the insurance coverage.

If you DO NOT have insurance coverage of your own, you may obtain coverage by filling out the application. Payment must be received prior to the event. A Certificate of Insurance will be issued upon receipt of payment. The Certificate of Insurance is your proof of coverage. Present it to the facility in charge of the space prior to the event.


****Failure to comply with one, or both, of the following requirements will affect Participant Legal Liability in place for any event even if a Certificate of Insurance is provided.****

You must have Accident Medical coverage in force. To purchase Accident Medical coverage, please call 1-877-657-8321.

You must also have a Waiver and Release form system that is regularly maintained or Participants Legal Liability will be subject to a $10,000 deductible. This system must secure and maintain properly executed Waiver and Release forms for all participants. For minor participants (under eighteen years of age) you must always secure and maintain properly executed Minor Waiver and Release forms signed by the parent or legal guardian.

Participants Legal Liability
 provides coverage for claims you are legally obligated to pay because of actions brought against you, the Named Insured, by players and/or other participant(s). Participant means any player, coach, manager, staff member, team worker, official, media personnel, cheerleader, or band member practicing for, or participating in, the sporting event. This means all of your team members and players and any participating non members! Participant liability insurance, like all liability policies, would provide coverage to the injured party only if the tenant user were liable.

Claims Reporting

How to report a claim:
  • Philadelphia Process (Liability Claims)

    1. Gather the Facts

      When reporting a notice of loss (injury, property damage to third parties, auto accidents, etc.; related to a registered event), please provide as much detail as possible. This should include, but not be limited to, Insured Name (The Regents of the University of California plus student organization/club name), Contact Name (student organization/club), Policy Number, Claimant Name, Claimant Contact Information, Date of Loss, Location of Loss, Cause of Loss, Your Policy or Reference Number, Initial Steps Taken to Mitigate the Loss, Type (s) and Description of Damage and Estimated Amount of Loss.

    2. Report
      • -Available Online

      • -Philadelphia Insurance Companies 
        Attention Claims Department 
        One Bala Plaza, Suite 100 
        Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004-0950

      • -Phone: 800-765-9749 
        Fax: 800-685-9238 
        Email – claimsreport@phlyins.com
    3. Follow Up
    4. The claims customer service department will immediately process your first notice of loss and you will be contacted by your servicing representative.

      For information on how to report a University of California Accident Medical claim, view the form.

Contact Mercer at 1-866-838-9536 from 8a to 5p (CST) with questions.

One note: your representative may refer to TULIP coverage. Don’t worry. TULIP stands for Tenant User’s Liability Insurance Policy, and it is what you are applying for.


We're here to help! Please contact us in whatever manner is most convenient for you.

 Direct Phone
 M-F 8a-5p CST
 Mailing Address
Program Administrator
Mercer Health & Benefits Insurance Services LLC
PO Box 14521
Des Moines, IA 50306
 Street Address for Express Shipments
12421 Meredith Drive
Urbandale, IA 50398